On June 21, the Coast Guard received word from Health Force Partners that a 43-year-old man on board 218-foot catcher processor ALASKA JURIS had been injured when a box of frozen fish hit him in the head.
On Thursday, May 10, at 12:38 p.m., the Coast Guard received a call from F/V ALASKA JURIS, reporting an ammonia leak and the ammonia exposure of three crew members aboard. ALASKA JURIS was approximately 80 miles north of Cold Bay, Alaska, at the time. The three men were airlifted from ALASKA JURIS by Coast Guard helicopter to Cold Bay, after which they were flown by Coast Guard airplane to Anchorage for medical care. Currently, the three are listed in good condition.
As reported in our March 5 blog, in the space of one week, in separate incidents aboard separate factory trawlers in Alaska, one man on each ship suffered traumatic head injury, each from a snapped cable. One, on March 1, occurred on F/T ALASKA JURIS, owned by Fishing Company of Alaska, and resulted in the tragic death of Andrew Fotu, 25, of Seattle.
On March 1, 2012, a Seattle fisherman, Andrew Fotu, died when he was working on ALASKA JURIS, a fish trawler. The newspapers and Coast Guard press release reported that Mr. Fotu died when a "cable snapped and struck him in the head." Our investigation has determined that a towing cable did not snap - meaning it did not break or separate. Rather, it appears that the cable was made taut or pulled tight, which caused the cable to rise up and strike Mr. Fotu. The employer should not operate a winch or run the hydraulics when crew are standing near a line. It seems that FCA could be deemed liable by a jury in this case.
Within the space of less than one week, in separate incidents on separate trawlers in Alaska, two men have suffered head injuries from on-board cables.